Calling all Toronto knitters! How about dedicating some of your stash to an outstanding summer project? The Knit Café and the Toronto community are teaming up for this worthy cause.
Afghans for Afghans is a humanitarian and educational people-to-people project that sends hand-knit and crocheted blankets and sweaters, vests, hats, mittens, and socks to the children of Afghanistan.
- Wool and animal fibres offer the most warmth and perform best in rugged conditions. Please avoid synthetic yarns, they cannot be shipped.
- Knit or crochet your favorite patterns or try something new. For sample patterns see the AFA website.
- Please do not use representational images (e.g. faces or animal designs) or religious or national symbols.
- Avoid white or very light colors. Feel free to mix a bright and cheery palate from your yarn collection!
- Please assume standard garment sizes. You are knitting for a Canadian climate. Hats need to cover ears, sleeves need to go the wrist and torsos need to be long.
- No used items or scarves please.
Drop off and Deadlines
You can drop off your projects at the Knit Café, 1050 Queen Street West. The dead-line for the next shipment is September 25th, 2007.
A hat that you knit will be well-loved and passed down through several families of Afghan children. Make this your summer project!
What a great way to work through the stash and easily get charity projects out into the world. Would this be eligable for the banket square challenge? If not, we've got until the end of September, so that's plenty of time!