Want to Join??

Want to be able to post your own donations, charities, warm fuzzy thoughts? Email us at homespunhelpers@gmail.com

Add yourself to our Frappr Map!


Saturday, May 19, 2007

Bag O' Sunshine

Hi folks...

Ok, after mucho emailing and such, right now we have two locations to donate bags of goodies to our veterans -- one in Indiana and one in Ohio.

Here are some details:
1) Bags should be at least 6-8 inches wide/tall
2) Handles should be at least 12" long (up to 24" long)
3) Use acrylic yarn or washable fabric
4) Needs to be washable and hold up to abuse

I imagine that these bags will hang off of wheelchairs, doorhandles, etc, so need to be stitched tightly. The bag I made below is a combination of single and double crochet stitching for the bag itself, all the seams and the handle are a single crochet that's reinforced with a crochet thread.

Things that can be purchased to put IN the bag include:
1) Toiletries (small size shampoo, conditioner, deoderant, etc).
2) Hand sanitizer
3) Small puzzles and games (crossword, word find)
4) Pencils, pens, writing materials, envelopes, stamps
5) Anything else you want to donate!!

I would also recommend if you are donating a bag, please put a little letter or note in the bag for the vet. I get tons of "thank you" cards from charities I donate to that I can never use, and I'm going to use those to put in the bags. You can also make a card, have your child make a card, etc.

You can email me directly at marylewisphd (at) gmail (dot) com if you want to send things and I will give you my address, or if you want to donate to the Indiana VA, arian_diana is coordinating that.

We are counting the finished bag (unstuffed) as one FO.

No comments: