Want to Join??

Want to be able to post your own donations, charities, warm fuzzy thoughts? Email us at homespunhelpers@gmail.com

Add yourself to our Frappr Map!


Monday, June 1, 2009

YO!

no, I'm not just saying "yo."

I found a story today on MSNBC about a project in Elkhart that is teaching people how to knit as a way to help ease their massive tensions. I thought to myself, "Knitting...help...Homespun Helpers to the rescue!"

I have a couple of ideas in mind -- could Homespun Helpers use our yarn bank concept to help them out so the folks wouldn't have to worry about materials? Or, could we donate harder things to make, like hats, mittens, socks, to go with the scarves that a lot of the folks are working on?

I think this is a really neat opportunity for us to step up and help.

Would someone like to take a leadership role in contacting YO! about these ideas and any others you may have?

Here's the story:

http://elkhartproject.newsvine.com/_news/2009/05/31/2883069-a-novel-prescription-for-knitted-brows

1 comment:

Sandy said...

I'm sorta rollin my eyes on this, everyone I know who's taught someone to knit, or when they speak about their own learning curve talks about how frustrating it is, how they quit several times before getting the hang of it, how it's anything but relaxing as those of us who enjoy it say it is. I've ended up with yarn and a few extra needles sometimes as a result. People get so stressed and frustrated they get away supplies, so...I'm not sure I get this.

I love the idea people are teaching others, cause until about 5 years ago it seemed the crafts of knitting and crocheting were almost extinct, and it's important I think to keep it alive and teach new people, young people etc. But, I'm not sure I see this as a charity? Comparing this to homeless people, children cold, babies who have the chance at survival increased because of a hat, or blanket etc, this somehow--in my mind doesn't seem like it's in the same category??

Sandy