Total in 2007 so far: 1234
funfairiegirl issued a challenge: that we finish 1200 items by the end of June.
And we totally did. Here"s how.
afghans for Afghans are getting a pair of socks from Priscilla.
The American Cancer Society received nine hats from bunny_pwns_you.
Blankets for the Gulf got a blanket from doclegs and one blanket from Craftyone.
A breast cancer support group got three scarves from Craftyone
Charmed Knits got a hat from kat_denton.
Chicago"s Crafty Angels got five baby bibs from theonlyevidence.
A Domestic Abuse Center received 25 pottery angels (Angels of Hope) from sweetcheri"s Mother.
The Dulaan Project got three hats from death_by_yarn, two hats from snoopingmother"s daughter, seven hats and a child"s vest from twotone, a variety of hats, gloves, and scarves numbering 12 from media_res and a friend, six adult and two baby hats from eowyn_ulysses and eight assorted items from zortified, a hat from akkasha and 12 hats, two scarves and a baby sweater from desertempress.
Hesed House got three hats from laughlovelive.
The Hokie"s blanket project got four squares from joriejc2.
Local animal shelters got six blankets from Venka.
A local hospital is getting four premie hats from ndjen04.
Love Quilts got a pink cross stitched square from smiles_sweetly.
The Lowell Wish Project is getting a blanket from _fakewings_
funfairiegirl"s auction for Lupus Research is getting 25 pieces of jewellery (11 + 14) from elsieamelie.
A mental health charity auction received two hats and a blanket from doclegs.
The National World War II Museum received three scarves from elsieamelie.
Project Bag O" Sunshine got 46 bags (6 + 1 + 1+ 1 + 1 + 1 + 10 + 14 + 2 + 2 + 1 +4 + 1 + 1) from jellybellygirl, treehugger06, snoopingmother, joriejc2, mmeblue.
Porject Hokie Hope got two squares from zortified.
Project Night Night got two blankets from ascelinne who also contributed food to the potluck fundraiser for the project.
Rebuilding Greensburg got 54 squares. In the first half of the month, 23 squares were completed (10 + 12 + 1) from gypsyamaranta, snoopingmother and cymbelline. After the square contest started, another 31 were made (3 + 3 + 13 + 9 + 13 + 3 + 10) by Priscilla, Craftyone, snoopingmother, doclegs and caboosey.
The Red Scarf Project got four scarves from eowyn_ulysses back in January.
Share a Square got six squares from Priscilla
Warming Families are getting 14 squares from Little Knittin Kitten.
Warm Up America got 180 squares. WuA suggests 49 squares for a full size blanket, which means we"ve produced almost enough for 4 blankets this month! 40 of these (5 + 5 + 5 + 3 + 2 + 20) from treehugger06 and eowyn_ulysses, crazigriffen, Mystery Singapore Kitten and funfairiegirl and Christi aren"t part of the square contest. The square contest generated the other 148 (8 + 13 + 6 + 5 + 3 + 6 + 16 + 15 + 43 + 13 + 12) from doclegs, gypsyamaranta, treehugger06, nehnhaa,
crazigriffen also finished another blanket.
Also, lindsoriah made two blankets.
We"re having a square making challenge put together by funfairiegirl and joriejc2. Deadline is 11:59 pm EST on July 16.
We hit 1000 items! And 1200!
The orignal Crafting for a Cause group has asked us to change our name. Lots of discusion about a new name can be seen here, here and here and here. Eventually the name Homespun Helpers was chosen.
- eleme shares an urgent request for prayer shawls for children which are needed in July.
- Craftyone is running Project overwhelm Patty with Scarves - a project to produce lots and lots of fun scarves for breast cancer sufferers at The Alexian Brother"s Medical Centre
- leftygirl02 talks about making teddy bears to be given by the fire brigade to children involved in fires, and suggests the following links Gainsville Fire Department Care Bear Program and The Teddy Bear Cops Program and annilita mentions the Artists Helping Children Program that does the same in hospitals.
- doclegs points out some charity links.
- joriejc2 wonders if we can run an etsy shop to sell items to raise money for her local women"s shelter near Thanksgiving.
- jpettibone mentions the Pattenworks blanket competition. There"s some discussion of how we could make this a community event. doclegs has the kit and is going to send out skeins to people wanting to take part.
- Priscilla points out Project Share a Square aiming to collect 6x6" granny squares to make afghans for children suffering from cancer at Camp Sanguinity.
- laughlovelive reccomends the crochetlist on yahoo who have a charity of the month.
- Any one wanting to make items for for tornado victims in Manitoba should see this post in 20sknitters
- The Red Scarf Project is accepting scarves again. The guidelines have changed so do check them out if you"re going to donate.
- Priscilla points out Gracious Parcels- a project making afghans to give to people moving into Habitat for Humanity homes.
- Crocheters may be interested in Krochet Krystal"s flower square - she"ll send you the pattern if you make one and send it to her to be made into blankets for charity.
- russia_moore aked for advice on selling a crochet pattern to raise money for the Interpretative Guide program at Lindsay Wildlife Museum. She"s put up a page with the information about the pattern and the program here.
- death_by_yarn has started an effort to help warm the homeless of Winchester, VA. Have a look at her site Warm Up Winc for information.
- And while it isn"t entirely a craft for charity link, it is related: Annie Modesitt"s husband has beel diagnosed with terminal cancer. In an effor to raise money, she"s offering this pattern. Read funfairiegirl"s post about it here.
Questions for the community:
- ugottafriend asks if anyone knows about becoming a non-profit organisation for the charity jewellery store she"s setting up.
- elsieamelie asks what she can do with bits of a poncho that went wrong.
- lindsoriah asks for suggestions for things to make for a charity auction.
- ugottafriend asks about making bears for children
- cacuni wants some input on the website design. Share your thoughs.
Other things our members are doing:
- robin_andersen talks about an auction to raise money for the medical bills of her great nephew.
- ugottafriend has opened a jewellery shop on blujay from which all the proceedes will go to charity.
- mmeblue has designated some items on her shop on etsy as for charity.
- knitmeapony has various crafty items to give away
- project_memes asks what to do with some bookmarks.
- Missmalaprop posts about Desire Nola and explains about her charity spotlighting. Check out her etsy store.
- Why we do what we do - a reminder from joriejc2.
- joriejc2 wonders about donating to women"s shelters in memory of those women who die during pregnancy. There"s some discussion here
- The Deadline for Project Bag O"Sunshine Part 1 is 1st July to allow doclegs to give the first batch out on July 4th. The post has all the info needed for contacting doclegs for her address to send stuff. Stuffing for thebag is also appreciated.
- joriejc2 dreams of real life meet ups. See the poll and some discussion.
- Little Knittin" Kitten says that contributors to afghans for Afghans in Toronto can bring their items to Knit Cafe on Queen"s Street by September 25th for shipment.
January 2007 - 21
February 2007 - 33
March 2007 - 121
April 2007 - 161
May 2007 - 381